Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mom's Rice Pilaf


I remember this rice dish from when i was a kid, rice and onions, so simple so delicious.

I called my mom and asked her for the recipe. She said, it's an oldie, she doesn't remember if she got it from my grandmother or my abuela, but it's a goodie.

Mom's Rice Pilaf

1 onion, mom says vidalia is best, but you can use any kind of onion
1/2 stick of butter
1C white rice
2C chicken stock

Slice the onions, saute in butter, cook until almost translucent.
Cook rice as stated on the package, but use chicken stock instead of water and add onions. I cook my rice in the micro, so i throw it all in the corning ware, cover and zap.

The day i asked my mom about the rice, i went to the hospital to visit my abuela. I asked her if she had a rice pilaf recipe. She said yes, a good one and recited the exact same recipe as my mom, cept hers had 3/4 of a stick of butter! lol. So if you are feeling exceptionally decadent, then try abuela's version! ;)

4 comments:

Oh_mama said...

YUM! I love simple & tasty!
My mom sautees some broken noodles in her rice. At least I think they're noodles. I'll let you know. It's another easy, yummy twist on rice.

*ccc* said...

Melican,

Do you think this will work in a Hitachi? (you know, the rice cooker?)

You know, being Cuban I only got like 3 of them as registry gifts!

This looks yummy!

Melissa said...

yes, mom always makes hers in the hitachi! :)

Chic Ink Designs said...

yummmmmmm. I love adding onions to my rice. I have to try it cooked in chicken stock. sounds fab.