Friday, May 25, 2007

4 Minute Filet


Ok, so this story goes a little something like this. I went on my usual run through Publix, when there was this young guy sampling filet. I initially said no thanks, then said ok, what the hell. It was good but so thin. I've never eaten thin filet mignon before.

He was like, good right? I said yeah, but i'm not buying it, cause mine would turn out like leather. He said no, the trick is to cook it for 2 minutes on each side. Try it, you can do it! I replied, i can try! And threw it in my shopping cart.

I felt really bad for the kid, he was so nice, i even circled back around to the meat section later and almost put them down, thinking why bother with such thin cuts of meat. But then i thought the kid was so nice, and what if he gets credited for how many filets he sells while sampling. i know, i'm such a sucker. :P

Mid-week comes around and i'm thinking about dinner and what to defrost, i see those filets staring at me and just go ok, tonite, we're trying this.

Now that i already knew how to cook the steak, it was time to think of sides. To me, nothing goes better with steak then onions. So onion was the keyword of the day. And you know, i found a ton of onion recipes for Thanksgiving. I thought that was really interesting, cause i do Cuban Thanksgiving, so a lot of traditional American sides, i've never had at Thanksgiving. Anyhoo, i digress.

I did come across a grilled onion recipe that sounded tasty, and even though we have a grill, in this house, the grill is my hubby's territory. So i made it in the oven.

Grilled Onions

I cranked the oven up to 400, broke up the bullion cubes, stuffed the onions with the bullion and butter, wrapped them in foil, threw them on the middle rack and set the timer for 90 minutes. Well at 75 minutes, i checked the oven and the damn onions leaked all over the oven. i know, i know, didn't i learn ANYTHING from the Pound Cake from Hell debacle?! Yeah, apparently not. But the onions were perfectly ready in 90 minutes.

With minutes left to go on the onions, i heated up my pan, seasoned my filets with salt and pepper, and got on it. 2 minutes on one side and 1.5 minutes on the other. The steaks came out with perfectly pink centers. HOORAY, i did it, no leather to chew on tonite! :)

I served it to my hubby with some mac n cheese (out of a box), and as he cut into the onion he said, what's this. I said a faux grilled onion, it's supposed to taste like... he answered mouth-full, it's good.

Psht, yeah it was! Everything was really good and really fast to prep. So i highly recommend that you try this for a quick weeknight meal! :)

3 comments:

Carmen said...

I got a try this for sure. Mine usually come out like a chewy mess too, instead of jucy.
Thanks for the secret.
I will let you know how mine goes.
Carmen

Deborah said...

Steak and mac & cheese?!?? You're my hero!!! :)

*ccc* said...

I know you're extolling the steak here, but...

I can only think about the mac and cheese!

Sounds yum-o! (To quote your least favorite TV chef, lol!)